Publication date: 17 March 2020
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 20 April 2020
The position of Senior Translator/Reviser is located in the Official Documents French Translation Unit of the Official Meetings, Documentation and Relations Department (RELMEETINGS).
The Official Documents French Translation Unit is responsible for translating all official ILO documents into French (primarily from English and Spanish), including those submitted to the International Labour Conference, the Governing Body, and regional and sectoral meetings, as well as documents produced by the Office of the Director-General. The Unit is also responsible for the editing and formatting of these documents. The incumbent will report to the Head of the Official Documents French Translation Unit.
1.Translate or revise texts on the wide range of technical subject areas dealt with by the Organization, as well as administrative, financial or legal documents, which may be particularly sensitive or complex.
2.Supervise and train translators (staff and external collaborators) with a view to refining their skills, and coordinate some translation work carried out as a team. Evaluate the quality of work, follow up and make recommendations to the Head of the Unit.
3.Participate in major ILO meetings as a team leader, reviser or translator, both at headquarters and in the field (including the International Labour Conference, Governing Body, and regional and sectoral meetings) and, in such instances, take on a heavy workload and meet tight deadlines.
4.Liaise with author units and other units involved in the production of documents, including with colleagues from other language units, to ensure the concordance of all language versions. Conduct supplementary research to solve problems related to terminology and meaning, and consult with substantive units regarding possible inconsistencies or errors in the original text.
5.Keep abreast of developments in the area of CATT (computer-assisted translation and terminology) tools with a view to promoting their use internally.
6.Edit original versions drafted in French in order to establish the master text to be followed by other language sections, where appropriate.
7.Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Revise in the target language from two or more languages translations prepared by other staff and by external translators.
2. Translate, from two languages, and self-revise especially complex and technical texts for issue without further revision.
3. Edit texts in the target language to ensure a style of presentation in conformity with ILO standards.
4. Produce versions in the target language which are, in terms of accuracy, completeness, meaning and style, the equivalent of the original text.
5. Carry out linguistic research and prepare terminological bulletins, glossaries and other reference tools.
6. The incumbent may be requested to organize and coordinate the work of other translators from the same language unit, monitor the progress of work in relation to an agreed schedule or coordinate work for simultaneous issue, before or during a meeting.
Advanced university degree in languages or some other relevant field, or the equivalent in experience.
At least seven years of professional translation experience and at least three years at the international level as a Reviser or self-revised Translator. Experience in using CATT tools.
Excellent command of French and in-depth knowledge of English and Spanish. Good knowledge of other official languages of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, German, Russian) would be an asset.