The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its General Secretariat (SG) – Governing Bodies (GB) – Linguistic Services (LING) – Production Management Unit (PMU) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Associate) Officer – Terminology and Translation Project Management. This is a full time position at grade 4/5.
Translation project and workflow management
- Monitoring the incoming translation requests in LING’s workflow management system and performing a first plausibility check of these, including negotiating deadlines;
- Maintaining and developing relations with LING’s translators and improving efficiency in the workflow.
- Assuming responsibility for own translation projects through planning and scheduling, pre-processing of documents, following up on and tracking documents received for translation during all stages of the process, from the point of entry to the point of exit, and ensuring that set deadlines are respected.
- Being responsible for the coordination of terminology work in LING in cooperation with the individual language units by adding new terms and/or updating existing terms in LING’s local terminology database, at the request of the language units or on own initiative;
- Managing and maintaining the Division’s local terminology database, including performing quality control of metadata, reorganising the termbase, making backups, improving the termbase structure as appropriate, and handling problem solving (when necessary, together with the tool provider);
- Ensuring the best use of terminology resources in the translation workflow, including performing upfront terminology work in order to include term databases in packages provided to external translators;
- Adding EIB entries and/or terms to the inter-institutional terminology database IATE and updating, if necessary, existing EIB entries in IATE;
- Identifying terminology capacity needs and planning outsourcing in case it is needed.
Establishing procedures for terminology work in LING
- Representing LING in inter-institutional meetings concerning terminology and transposing to LING any useful new knowledge acquired in this context in order to establish best practices, including following the evolution of IATE and implementing relevant tools.
- Identifying training needs related to terminological aspects and tools and setting up training plans for new and existing LING staff;
- Offering training and/or information to translators and other members of the PMU to assist them with understanding the terminology-related tools and procedures.
- University degree in a relevant domain, typically translation and/or terminology
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience in a translation environment
- Experience with workflow management and terminology management tools
- Experience in a coordination role in the linguistic field is a must
- Good knowledge of standard office tools; thorough knowledge of computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools (preferably the SDL Studio suite of tools), and of terminology tools used for terminology extraction, recognition and management (SDL Multiterm, IATE…)
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English; good command of French(*). Knowledge of other EU languages, in particular German and/or Polish, would be an asset.