- Type of contract Traineeship
- Who can apply? EU nationals eligible for our traineeship programme
- Working time Full time
- Place of work Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Closing date 01.05.2022
You will join the Language Services Division in the Directorate General Communications. We provide translation, editing, proofreading, and language technology and terminology services in all EU languages, as well as offering advice on linguistic matters.
You will be a trainee in the Language Technology and Innovation (LTI) Unit, a team of seven members of staff responsible for designing, managing and coordinating the expansion of the ECB’s databases of central banking and banking supervision terminology in all official EU languages. The LTI Unit’s language technology work involves providing expert support for the computer-assisted translation software used at the ECB, tailoring the tools to the translators’ workflows and keeping abreast of developments in the field of language technology. The LTI Unit also works closely with the ECB’s publications and information systems teams.
As a trainee, you will:
- help to test translation-related software and customisations prior to their rollout at the ECB;
- check documents for compatibility with alignment and translation tools;
- create and check end-user documentation;
- perform translation memory maintenance tasks;
- help to assess the quality of machine translation output and integrate it into the linguists’ workflows;
- research terminology and add terms to a MultiTerm database;
- contribute to other activities and projects carried out by the LTI Unit.
This position will offer excellent opportunities to gain practical insight into the operations of a language services department – and, in particular, a language technology and innovation unit – in a multilingual organisation. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- for a traineeship paid at €1,070 per month, a bachelor’s degree or higher in language technology, terminology, translation studies, modern languages, computational linguistics or another relevant field;
- for a PhD traineeship paid at €1,940 per month, a master’s degree and at least two years of PhD studies in language technology, terminology, translation studies, modern languages, computational linguistics or another relevant field;
- a good knowledge of terminology management and translation memory software packages, such as the RWS Trados suite;
- a good knowledge of the MS Office package;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and at least one other official language of the EU, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.